Our Story

Our Story

The Smithfield Inn, built in 1752, is older than The Alamo or even Independence Hall in Philadelphia. George Washington slept here (No really, he did.)

During this time, Smithfield's bustling wharf harbor had become a popular destination for ships bringing goods from the old world to the new. The reason? They could return loaded down with two new world delicacies— peanuts and the hams that have made Smithfield world famous.

To serve these travelers and others coming over the main stagecoach route from Norfolk to Richmond and eventually steamboat and motorcar, the original residence was converted to an Inn and Tavern in 1759. Thus, began over 250 years of southern hospitality and charm that still defines the “Old Inn on Main Street”.

Our Story

Notable changes along the way included raising the roof to a full second story in 1870, part of bringing the Inn back from disrepair after the Civil War, and a major renovation by the Sykes family in 1922, adding the long kitchen and dining room wing and enlarging the porch across the entire front. For 40 years, the Sykes Inn was known for its signature home cooked meals and relaxed atmosphere.

Now known as The Smithfield Inn, we welcome you to our beautifully renovated historic Restaurant, Tavern, and Bed & Breakfast, steeped in tradition and charm reminiscent of simpler times in the genteel old South.

Connect with Smithfield Inn
Stay Informed